This program is for students who desire to acquire or upgrade their skills in the field of biotechnology. It is assumed that students will have the required background in the biological sciences and chemistry prior to entering this program. Students will be trained in the practices and procedures of biotechnology as well as in the theory behind the procedures so that they will be prepared to extrapolate present knowledge to solve problems faced in the future. There will be a heavy emphasis on a wide range of laboratory procedures. The topics of lab safety, protein isolation and separation techniques, cell culture, molecular biology and recombinant DNA. Quality control will be addressed as it applies to both a manufacturing and research environment.
For More Information Contact:
School of Science and Mathematics
Southeast Campus: (918) 595-7742
Contact the School of Science and Mathematics or see an academic advisor for recommended course sequence.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Create an experiment using the scientific method.
- Analyze scientific publications.
- Utilize laboratory techniques employed in a molecular biology/biotechnology laboratory.
- Apply biochemical principles and processes to each level of biological organization.
- Identify examples of careers and job responsibilities associated with biotechnology.
- Communicate science effectively using written or oral presentation skills.
- Apply ethical practices and behaviors in the field of science.
- Acquire specific on-the-job laboratory training.
Search careers related to Biotechnology at TCC Career Explorer and visit TCC Career Services to learn more about our free career planning and job preparation services.
Network with other biotechnology majors through participation in the Club of Medical and Natural Sciences at the southeast campus or the Sci-π Club at the west campus. For more information speak with your biotechnology professor or inquire at the Student Life office on campus.
View a semester-by-semester course plan of study on the Biotechnology Certificate Program Map.