2017-2018 College Catalog
Pre-Professional Health Sciences AS, Pre-Dentistry / Pre-Medicine / Pre-Optometry Option
If your goal is to become a doctor, dentist, or optometrist, this degree will prepare you for transfer to a four-year institution to continue your education in preparation for admission into a school of medicine, dentistry or optometry. While these professional schools may not recommend a particular degree for admission, they do require a strong background in science which this program provides. You should work closely with an academic advisor each semester to make certain you are enrolled in the correct courses for a seamless transfer process and you are encouraged to begin a dialogue with your intended transfer school as early as possible. Early coordination between TCC academic advisors and advisors from selected four-year institutions can streamline the transfer process. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that he/she understands the program/admission/transfer requirements for the transfer school.
For More Information Contact: School of Science and Mathematics
Metro Campus: (918) 595-7334 ♦ Northeast Campus: (918) 595-7542
Southeast Campus: (918) 595-7742 ♦ West Campus: (918) 595-8193
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program you will be able to:
- Apply core concepts of biology when explaining biological processes.
- Apply scientific method to solve problems.
- Illustrate scientific data using graphs, tables, or text.
- Integrate knowledge from several disciplines around a clinical theme.
- Communicate biological information using oral, written or digital presentation techniques.
- Identify issues involving biology in society.
- Use biological instrumentation and proper laboratory techniques.
- Find and evaluate scientific literature.
- Explain human pathological conditions in biological terms.
Search careers in Dentistry, Medicine, and Optometry at TCC Career Explorer and visit TCC Career Services to learn more about our free career planning and job preparation services.
Students in this major will benefit from participation in the Club of Medical and Natural Sciences at the southeast campus or the Sci-π Club at the west campus. For more information speak with any science faculty or inquire at the Student Life office on campus.
View a semester-by-semester course plan of study and information on transferring this degree to other colleges and universities on the Pre-Dentistry/Pre-Medicine/Pre-Optometry Degree Map.